Sunday, May 19, 2013

Create yourself

As a follow up to this post, this is just some of what I am creating.


1) In my quest for a more creative life, I decided I'm going to do something I am familiar with but haven't done in a while: Audition. Yikes! I've done this a lot, but it's been a solid three years since I've auditioned for a show. Wish me luck! No wait, don't wish me luck. Wish me a broken leg.

2) My husband and I painted our faux oak vanity in our bathroom. After a color failure, I think we ended up getting it right. Never underestimate the power of a fresh coat of paint and new hardware, my friend.

3) We planted a garden to get ready for Jeff's graduation party.

4) I spray painted a large clock my favorite color. Spray paint might just be the most accessible creative tool.

5) I'm something of a playwright, I guess. And I started working on my newest play again.

6) I planned out Jeff's graduation party invitation. Jeff is the one who got it to work on the computer, but I had the idea. Creativity is best with a little collaboration.

The funny thing about weaving creativity into my daily life was that I started to hunt for it. One creative project led me to create more. It kept me busy, happy and inspired.

And the focus on creativity got me thinking about one of my all time favorite quotes. 

Life isn't about finding yourself.
Life is about creating yourself.
-George Bernard Shaw

That's not scripture, obviously. But I do find the essence of the quote scriptural, sort of.

One of the greatest gifts that our Heavenly Father provided us is our agency - our ability to choose. We can choose good or evil. And, of course, these choices aren't devoid of consequences. They have an affect on who we become. So, through choosing, we are becoming -- or creating ourselves.

As I was thinking about this post, I was inspired by this and this.

That first link is to a really great artist's blog. I enjoy following the blogs of people who are really creative. This was about some of the lessons she's learned so far in her early years of motherhood. To summarize, she was nervous to have children - worried that she would lose herself in the process (I relate to this worry). Her conclusion:

"I did lose myself (or maybe I should say found myself), especially in those early days but strangely I loved the feeling. Motherhood seemed to be the missing piece of the puzzle in my life. Now, a year and a half later, much of the old Alisa is LONG gone. My priorities, my interests, my goals and my perspective have changed in the most beautiful of ways. The truth is- I have completely lost myself to being a wife and a mom and I am loving every moment of it!"

I would suggest that she didn't just find herself. It was more powerful than that. She created a new self -- complete with new priorities, interests, goals, perspectives. The person she was before is gone. And the person she's become is all the richer for it. Read through her blog even more if you want a great example of a mother weaving creativity into her new life.

That second link is to a blog written by one of my oldest friends. Rachel has posted on the 20-something test before. I can't tell you how much I respect and admire this lady.

Rachel talks about who she was before a single moment changed her. I won't give it all away. It's an inspiring read. But this is how she concludes, "And even though I do not always see, I know the Lord will guide me to become everything I can."

I. love. that.

"And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men" (Matthew 4:19, emphasis and strikethrough added).*

If we let Christ into our lives and choose his atonement, He will create in us a new self and help us become everything God wants us to be. I believe that maybe, just maybe, the reason we feel as if we've found ourselves after these moments (and phases) of real becoming is because we are getting a glimpse of our true and unique potential as children of God.  We are seeing creation in action. And what's more inspiring than real creativity? After all, we are here to change our very natures. With Him, we are just that powerful.

So, let's create -- with a little collaboration.








* I can't rightfully take the credit for this. My dad used it in a Sunday school lesson today. It just fit so perfectly with what I've been thinking about. 

1 comment: