Friday, March 23, 2012

He Is

I have always been a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and have always had a testimony of the truthfulness of His Gospel, so I've never really thought about why I could never leave -- until now.

The Atonement of Jesus Christ is a very real and personal thing. He made it possible for us to return Home to our loving Father; He made it possible for our sins to be forgiven. But the Atonement is more than that. 

In Alma Chapter 7, verses 11-13 it says: "And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and sicknesses of his people. And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities. Now the Spirit knoweth all things; nevertheless the Son of God suffereth according to the flesh that he might take upon him the sins of his people, that he might blot out their transgressions according to the power of his deliverance; and now behold, this is the testimony which is in me." 

Whatever pain, whatever sorrow - great or small - He has felt and He understands. If we allow Him, He WILL take that from us. He wants us to give it to Him. I have come to understand that I don't need to suffer for anything; He already has. I have felt His love and mercy countless times in my life. I have seen what His love has done for others. 

Recently, my sister passed away. The only way I have been able to get through this trial is by giving my sorrows to Him and allowing Him to take my pain. He's already felt this, I don't need to suffer the pain alone. 

Yes, I am still tremendously sad about losing my sister. But I have felt joy as well. Without the Gospel, without the Church, I wouldn't feel the joy; I would only feel sorrow and sadness.

In Doctrine and Covenants Section 76, verses 22-23, it says: "And now, after the many testimonies which have been given of him, this is the testimony, last of all, which we give of him: That he lives! For we saw him, even on the right hand of God..."

I have not seen my Savior in the flesh, but I know He lives! I know He bore my burdens for me in Gethsemane. I am continually encircled about in the arms of His love. I know He loves me. 

I have a testimony of His Church and that is why I could never leave.


No comments: