Monday, March 19, 2012

What it Takes

When I initially heard the topic, “why I could never leave,” my mind was brought back to my mission. I could think of quite a few reasons that came in that short year and a half. That is where I came to know of the truthfulness of the Book of Mormon, it is where I began to understand the Atonement.

These things became the “why” for me. I was convinced then that I could never leave, because Christ and His gospel had, simply put, changed my life.

And with that conviction I often wondered how others with those same life changing experiences could return home only to stray.

Well, I think a man in my ward summed it up nicely. In a testimony meeting, he shared his experience of sustaining an injury from falling out of bed. He stated that he had fallen because he hadn’t been far enough in. “Perhaps,” he suggested, “that is why so many people fall out of the church. They’re just not far enough in.”

I know this may seem to be moving away from my train of thought, but stick with me please, it will come back around.

The Book of Mormon changed my life. Applying its teachings changed me in a way I never thought imaginable. I was certain I could never miss a day of serious study. But guess how long it takes to break that commitment? Well, it’s not very long.

There are innumerable reasons I could never leave, but those reasons aren’t all that keep me in. During my mission, I knew I could never leave, and after reflecting on this topic, I’ve discovered why. I couldn’t fall out because I was “far enough in.” I was immersed in the gospel.

There are many reasons motivating me to stay, but testimonies fade as they go malnourished, and strong reasoning soon becomes forgotten. So, because I have the reasons, perhaps the statement I need to be pondering is not “why I could never leave,” but “what I am going to do to make sure I don't stray.”

I want to do it. I need to stay. I yearn for perfection, but the course is long and narrow. The great “why” to never leave that trail lies at the end—eternal life and joy with our families. I just pray we can do what it takes to never stray.


No comments: